Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Letter from Gran-Gran Baca


To our Dear Little Zion,

This is my very first letter to you, the first of many over a lifetime I’m sure.

I have dreamed of being a grandma for quite some time now. It seems that most of my friends, my two sisters and all of their friends, are already enjoying the most coveted title of “Grandma”. Over the past few years I have listened to many ‘grandma stories’ and have earnestly savored every tale of grandmother-hood, all the while inwardly anticipating sharing my own future tidbits of grandmother lore. Well, my waiting is over! Although you are still in your mommy’s womb, I am your grandma. What an exhilarating thought!

The day your mommy and daddy told us that you were ‘on the way’ I was just giddy with excitement! Your parents and your papa and I were at a restaurant when they gave us the big news about you. The first thing I did was squeal with joy, and then tears of happiness came pouring down! Your papa was so funny because he didn’t quite know what was going on. But as soon as he figured out he was looking at a positive pregnancy test he too was crying tears of joy!

I often imagine what you will look like. With such a beautiful mommy and handsome daddy you will surely be one cute, little boy! Did you know that I already have a picture of you on my desk at work? It’s a picture of your first ultrasound. You are only twelve weeks old, still in your mommy’s womb, but I can already tell what a handsome boy you are. I look at that picture and smile with gratitude, thanking God that you are on your way and getting closer with every passing day!

Oh, sweet, little Zion. Your papa and I can’t wait to meet you and hold you in our arms. We long to kiss your soft, silky cheeks, to nuzzle our noses into the curve of your neck and inhale the sweetness of our first grandchild. What a wonderful day that will be! I can’t imagine loving you any more than I do right now. Yet, I know when I see your precious face for the first time my whole understanding of love is going to change. I hear (from those other grandmas) that loving your grandchildren is something totally different than loving your own children. They say it’s a feeling that can’t be put into words… Hmmm, I guess it’s a special love that God gives only to grandparents. And guess what? I can already feel it growing in my heart!

Well, precious baby boy, I’m going to close this letter. But I just wanted to tell you how much you are loved. Besides your mommy and daddy and all of your grandparents, there are so many people just waiting to meet you. They’ve already heard of the great Zion Robert Baca and that he’s going to be a strong, healthy and handsome little boy. I wonder who could be telling everyone about you. Could it be your proud Gran-Gran already sharing stories of her wonderful grandson? Hmmm, I think so!

Goodnight. You are in our prayers and dreams…

Photo taken Sept 24th, 2009 Christa & Gran-Gran Baca

No comments:

Post a Comment